Attic Insulation Improves Comfort, Increases Savings, and More!
The attic can be a major source of your home’s heat loss and the cause of energy inefficiency—mostly because heat rises. A poorly insulated attic allows the heated interior air to rise up into the attic and escape through multiple air leaks. Along with heat loss through the attic, a cold ceiling makes rooms below the attic even colder. According to ENERGY STAR®, poorly insulated attics are responsible for up to 30% of the heat loss in your home and up to 70% of energy loss is from the attic and roof; that’s equivalent to leaving a window open … all year round. This is why when thinking about improving your home, our attic insulation services in Rockford, IL, are a great starting point.
Comfort 1st Insulation provides free estimates and free consultations in addition to our attic insulation services in Rockford, IL. If you want to know how your home is truly performing, we provide BPI and RESNET certified Home Energy Assessments. Take a look at the top eight benefits of receiving an assessment today! An assessment is a full-top-to-bottom inspection of your home that reveals how efficient (or inefficient) every aspect of your home is in an easy-to-read report using the latest energy savings data models. You also receive a Home Energy Score from the Department of Energy!
How do I know if I need insulation?
- Drafty rooms
- Hot and cold rooms; uneven temperature between rooms
- High heating or cooling bills
- Ice dams on the roof in the Winter
- Dry indoor air in winter
- Dust (especially in rooms directly below the attic)
The Seven Deadly Signs of Inadequate Attic Insulation
- Rooms below the attic become too hot or too cold at certain times throughout the year, typically Winter and the beginning of Spring. Other rooms might be just fine.
- High utility bills which include both gas and electric. This means your AC and Furnace are running more than usual which means unnecessary wear and tear.
- Air leaks and cold drafts in specific areas of the home during Winter.
- The can lights (recessed lights) in the attic ceiling are almost never sealed properly which leads to cold air coming from the attic into your home.
- The attic floor joists (wooden beams) are visible and or the levels (depth) of existing attic insulation varies.
- In the state of Illinois and Wisconsin, the best amount of insulation to have is an R-49 (Understanding R-values). If the total depth of insulation is below 10″, you’re below code.
- The ductwork is visible above the layers of attic insulation. This is not always a bad thing but such a common occurrence that it is definitely a sign of low insulation.
Having the correct amount of attic insulation in your home provides thermal resistance, or resistance to heat flow, and is proven to increase the performance of your home. Utilizing our attic insulation services in Rockford, IL, can also lower your utility bills.
Do you think your attic is properly insulated? You might want to check!
The U.S. Department of Energy recommends any home in the Illinois and Wisconsin area (zones 5-8) have at minimum 13 to 14 inches of insulation which is equivalent to an R-Value of 38 or greater (R-49 is the perfect level of insulation depth). The Insulation Institute conducted a study that revealed an estimated 90% of homes are poorly insulated (case study).
What does this tell us? Homeowners all around the U.S. are dealing with higher utility bills, uncomfortable temperatures, and unnecessary wear-and-tear on their AC and Furnace.
How we can help you fix not just your attic but overall comfort of your home
At Comfort 1st Insulation, we are certified experts who know exactly how to resolve any insulation or home performance issue you may have—especially in your attic.
We provide a three-step attic insulation service in Rockford, IL, to help you save money, increase comfort, and boost energy efficiency.
- Attic Air Sealing
Before insulating or adding additional attic insulation, we use spray foam insulation to seal and close all the gaps and cracks within your attic that are the source of air leaks and drafts. Some can be easily spotted while others require equipment such as thermal imaging camera to identify. The most common leaks occur around utility wire houses, the attic top plates, recessed lighting, waste stacks, and soffit drops.
- Ventilate – Is your attic ventilated properly?
You’d be surprised at how many homes have little to no ventilation. Your attic needs to breathe, and if there is no ventilation or the existing ventilation is blocked, then your attic is suffocating. Without ventilation, your attic will build up moisture and condensation which leads to mold and mildew, structural damage, attic shadowing (dark spots visible from the ceiling below), and much more. The ventilation process we use in our attic insulation services in Rockford, IL, ensures your attic can breathe and it will stay that way (our lifetime warranty–satisfaction guarantee).
The final step is to insulate. This is where we’ll use our high quality insulation products such as blown cellulose / loose fill cellulose, blown fiberglass / loose fill fiberglass, fiberglass batting, and or spray foam insulation. We can save you money by adding additional insulation on top of the existing or we can start fresh—our certified experts will inform you on all the options you have. Afterwards, you’ll receive before and after photos, a certificate of completion, and our lifetime warranty.
Call Comfort 1st Insulation for custom tailored attic insulation solutions for your home
If you’re looking for attic insulation services in Rockford, IL, or have any questions regarding your home, don’t hesitate to give us a call. We are one of the leading experts in attic insulation and home performance. You can call us directly at (833) 244-7283, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fill out our Request a Quote form today! Don’t believe us? We are a Pearl Certified Contractor. This means that you can request a third-party company to verify and certify the work done to your home!